Monday, October 8, 2007

The Pirates Next Skipper and Last Second Timeouts

I just have a few thoughts for this week. I want to give you my thoughts on who the next Pittsburgh Pirates manager will be. It is my humble opinion that it will be one of two men....either Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa. I know that Jim Tracy is an upstanding man and a good manager but damn, who can put a winning season together with the talent that is proivided you in 'Da Burgh?

I would love to see Torre or LaRussa land in Pittsburgh. Do you know why? Because then we will see what kind of leaders they really are. Let's face it, anyone can win if you are the manager of the Yankees or the Cardinals. I mean how hard can it be with a payroll upwards of $100 or $200 million?

Hey Joe and Tony, you both want to be included in the talk about the greatest baseball managers of all time. Well if you really want to be counted as one of the best, accept the challenge, come to Pittsburgh, manage the Pirates and turn a once proud franchise into a contender. Do that and we will REALLY consider you one of the best.

I know the Nutting family would have to be willing to consider hiring one of those two. In fact I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say that is why Jim Tracy was released in the first place, because the thought of having Torre or LaRussa possibly available as your manager was too good to pass up.

Gentlemen the ball is in your court. Don't run, accept the challenge and solidify your name in the annals of major league baseball history. Consider the Pirates OFFER!!!! When they actually offer it!

Now the second thing I wanted to rant about was the rediculous, "Hey let's wait til the very last second and call a time out when the kicker is already kicking the ball to win the NFL football game."

This rule need changed. I thinks it's a stupid rule that a head coach can call timeout at the very last second before the ball is snapped. I don't know why I feel this way, but I do and let me tell you that I hate the Dallas Cowboys but I am happy for Nick Folk for hitting the shot from 53 yards twice and winning the game.

Roger Godell, "Get the rules committee together and change the rule." It's only fair to the kicker. I would hate for this silly rule to change the outcome of the Super Bowl. Even if the rule is legitimate, there's something not right about it......I just don't know what it is.

No comments: